Veterans Housing and Rent Subsides Programs

Veteran Affairs Provide Housing Assistance

Vet holding a house

If you are a Veteran who has lost your home, you can receive the support you’ve earned to get back on your feet, by contacting VA’s National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838) to speak to a trained VA responder. The hotline and online chat are free and neither VA registration nor enrollment in VA healthcare is required to use either service.

Homeless veterans can find help with rental assistance through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Department of Veterans Affairs. The agencies have set up a program called “HUD-VASH “, to help veterans get the housing assistance they need.

The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program combines Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  VA provides these services for participating Veterans at VA medical centers (VAMCs) and community-based outreach clinics.

Grant and Per Diem Program

Grant and Per Diem Program is offered annually (as funding permits) by the Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care for Homeless Veterans (HCHV) Programs to fund community agencies providing services to homeless Veterans. The purpose is to promote the development and provision of supportive housing and/or supportive services with the goal of helping homeless Veterans achieve residential stability, increase their skill levels and/or income, and obtain greater self-determination.

a) Grants: Limit is 65% of the costs of construction, renovation, or acquisition of a building for use as service centers or transitional housing for homeless Veterans.

b) Per Diem: Priority in awarding the Per Diem funds goes to the recipients of Grants. Non-Grant programs may apply for Per Diem under a separate announcement, when published in the Federal Register, announcing the funding for “Per Diem Only.” For supportive housing, the maximum amount payable under the per diem is $41.90 per day per Veteran housed. Veterans in supportive housing may be asked to pay rent if it does not exceed 30% of the Veteran’s monthly-adjusted income.

Qualifying for Veteran Aid

Those who have served our country have earned our support and assistance. The Aid and Attendance Benefit – also called A&A – entitles veterans and spouses or widows to benefits for long-term care proved by an assisted living facility. The program is based on income, and there are some restrictions.

There are numerous national assistance programs, and ways to get help from your local government, community action agencies, and non-profits, as well as charities that offer programs and grants that will assist many families and individuals with bills, living expenses, and debts. You can find assistance to help pay your utility bills, help with medical bills, health care costs, rent, food assistance programs, credit card debt, and many other government assistance programs.

Information on local assistance program can be can be found “HERE”,

Beside helping our veterans, and their families know of the benefits available to them, it’s our intent to provide them with income opportunities, either through employment, or helping build their “own business”,